Sparkplug music department enjoys weekend success

Heading to State. Ten Speedway singers and pianists are advancing to the
ISSMA state competition later this month by virtue of their Group One Gold
performances Saturday at the district competition. Top Row: Gail Feeley, Yosmar
Flores Vasquez, Macy Franklin, Xander Hedge, Fiona Humphrey. Bottom Row: Alisa
Yarling, James Strayhorn, David Strayhorn, Pressley Sears, Mauro Manzano.

SHS Student Media

Heading to State. Ten Speedway singers and pianists are advancing to the ISSMA state competition later this month by virtue of their Group One Gold performances Saturday at the district competition. Top Row: Gail Feeley, Yosmar Flores Vasquez, Macy Franklin, Xander Hedge, Fiona Humphrey. Bottom Row: Alisa Yarling, James Strayhorn, David Strayhorn, Pressley Sears, Mauro Manzano.

Speedway musicians performed in the ISSMA District Vocal and Piano competitions over the weekend. Eight vocalists will advance to the ISSMA State Vocal competition later this month. Fiona Humphrey, David Strayhorn, James Strayhorn,
Mauro Marzano, Gail Feeley, Xander Hedge, Macy Franklin, and Presley Sears earned Group One Gold ratings, earning them a ticket to State.

On piano, Yosmar Flores Vasquez and Alisa Yarling both earned Group One Gold ratings earning them an invitation to the ISSMA State Piano competition. Humphrey (piano), Juliana Hgay (piano) and Aubrey Proctor (vocal) also earned Gold ratings for their performances.

Next up for the Speedway instrumental musicians is the ISSMA District competition. The music department is on a roll under the direction of Amy Mohl, and is a week removed from winning top honors at the Pep Band competition held at Orleans
on January 21st. In addition, the Speedway Winter Guard posted their highest score ever in their first competition of the year, earning a Silver place at the competition held at Plainfield.