The Student News Site of Ben Davis High School

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Indiana Repertory Theatre opens 51st season with electric adaptation

Shelley’s Frankenstein sparks with sensual storytelling

Indiana Repertory Theatre Opens 51st Season with Electric Adaptation
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein Sparks with Sensual Storytelling

Indianapolis, Ind.—The Indiana Repertory Theatre opens its 51st Season with a new co-leadership team comprised of Benjamin Hanna, Margot Lacy Eccles Artistic Director, and Suzanne Sweeney, Managing Director, as well as a new adaptation of a literary classic, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein running September 20 – October 14, 2023.

“As the new Artistic Director, I look forward to welcoming our community of audiences, donors, volunteers, staff, and artists, while also extending our reach to welcome new audiences to our work,” expressed Benjamin Hanna. “We begin this new artistic adventure with a fascinating, inventive new work inspired by Mary Shelley–one of the world’s greatest feminist authors who defied gender norms and shocked the world.”

It was, in fact, a dark and stormy night when Mary Shelley and her literary companions gathered for a sensual, raucous, and irreverent evening of Gothic storytelling. This adaptation exquisitely tells the story of the night that Frankenstein was created and is as thrilling and groundbreaking as the novel itself—as it experiments with love, grief, horror, and the power to create—or destroy—life.

“It is an honor to be directing the opening production of Benjamin Hanna’s inaugural season as the IRT’s Margot Lacy Eccles Artistic Director! And what a prescient moment to be in conversation with this great masterpiece,” said Risa Brainin, Director of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. “One of the central questions of the story is this: What is one’s responsibility to one’s creation—and its life thereafter? What starts as a spirited, fun evening with friends and lovers, grows deeper and more reflective as the story unfolds.”

Tickets are available now for this electrifying season opener!

DETAILS

WHERE: Indiana Repertory Theatre, 140 W. Washington Street, OneAmerica Mainstage

RUN DATES: September 20 – October 14, various times. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes, including a 15-minute intermission. Tickets and performance schedule available at IRTlive.com.

TICKETS: Tickets start at $25. Click to buy now.

CAST & CREATIVE TEAM:

TERRY BELL | John Polidori, Henry, & Others

TY FANNING | Percy Bysshe Shelley, Victor Frankenstein, & Others

REBECCA MARIE HURD | Mary Godwin, Elizabeth, & Others

ANDREA SAN MIGUEL | Claire Clairmont, Mother, & Others

NATE SANTANA | Lord Byron, The Creature, & Others

DAVID CATLIN | Playwright

RISA BRAININ | Director

CAREY WONG | Scenic Designer

DEVON PAINTER | Costume Designer

MICHAEL KLAERS | Lighting Designer

MELANIE CHEN COLE | Original Music & Sound Design

MIKO SIMMONS | Projections Designer

MARIEL GREENLEE | Movement

LERALDO ANZALDUA | Fight Direction & Intimacy

RICHARD J ROBERTS | Dramaturg

NATHAN GARRISON | Stage Manager

BECKY ROEBER | Assistant Stage Manager

CLAIRE SIMON CSA | Casting

SPECIAL PROGRAMMING:

PRE-SHOW CHATS
Before every Signature Five performance (excludes A Christmas Carol), patrons can enjoy a Pre-Show Chat hosted by IRT staff and artists. Pre-Show Chats begin 45 minutes prior to the scheduled performance and last 20 minutes.

OPENING NIGHT

Friday, September 22, 2023 | Performance at 7:30 PM

Enjoy festivities before and after the performance including food and drinks for purchase, a photo booth, DJ French Connxtn, and more. Plus after the show delight in a champagne toast and a one-time-only chance to explore the set with IRT Artisans.

COMMUNITY CONVERSATION: Monsters and Makers: Feminism, Agency, and Ethical Dilemmas in Frankenstein

Tuesday, September 26, 2023 | Following the 7:30 PM performance of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

About Community Conversations: At the Indiana Repertory Theatre, we believe that theater is a powerful catalyst for meaningful conversations. Our Community Conversations program invites audiences to participate in thought-provoking discussions inspired by the themes of our productions. These facilitated conversations provide a safe space for diverse perspectives, allowing attendees to engage in dialogue, share experiences, and gain new insights. Through Community Conversations, we aim to bridge connections, spark empathy, and create a stronger sense of community. Complimentary beverages are available to all participants.

In partnership with Indiana Humanities, we invite you to join us for an enlightening conversation that bridges literary classics with the pressing concerns of today. Uncover the intricate tapestry of Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” in our compelling Community Conversation. Delve into the feminist nuances, exploring the agency of women amidst power imbalances, and the ethical quandaries spawned by scientific progress. Esteemed scholars and experts will dissect the narrative’s layers, revealing the echoes of Shelley’s era in contemporary debates on creation, autonomy, and societal responsibility.

Panelists:

Jasmin French, Director, Global Right Environment at Cummins

Leah Nahmias, Community Leadership Officer at The Indianapolis Foundation
Dr. Leah Milne, Associate Professor of English at the University of Indianapolis

ARTIST CONVERSATION

Saturday, September 30, 2023 | Following the 5 PM performance

Engage with the creative minds behind the scenes through staff-led Artist Conversations. Dig into the artistic process, gain insights into the production’s development, and connect with the actors, directors, and designers who bring our shows to life. This interactive series offers a unique opportunity to explore the world of theater from a behind-the-scenes perspective, fostering a deeper appreciation for the magic that happens both on and off the stage.

ASL/AD PERFORMANCE | ARTIST CONVERSATION
Sunday, October 1, 2023 | Artist Conversation following the 2 PM performance

ASL/AD PERFORMANCE
The IRT offers ASL/AD services to our patrons with vision and hearing needs. Patrons with hearing needs are encouraged to sit in the interpretation zone and meet with the interpreter before the show. We also offer Assisted Listening Devices free of charge at each performance. To learn more visit irtlive.com/accessibility.

ARTIST CONVERSATION

FRANKENSTEIN LITERARY SOCIETY BOOK CLUB
Thursday, October, 5, 2023 | 6:30 – 8 pm

Come spill the tea as you join members of the 19th century Indianapolis Literary Society to discuss the radical new novel, Frankenstein. Enjoy an interactive conversation, complete with refreshments, as the women of 1832 ask you to help decide whether Mary Shelley’s work is an innovative masterpiece or a dangerous scourge. You have never been to a book club like this! (Should we list the three actors who are performing in this?)

Cost: $30 p/person or $25 for Season Ticket Holders

To register, please contact Education Manager Anna Barnett by September 28 at [email protected] or call 317.916.4841

ARTIST CONVERSATION
Friday, October 6, 2023 | Following the 7:30 PM performance

For more information contact Danielle M. Dove, Director of Marketing and Sales, at [email protected] or 317.916.4878.