The Student News Site of Ben Davis High School

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Giants debut flag football squad

Girls to kick off season Saturday at 10 a.m.
Giants debut flag football squad
Justin Dela Cruz

It’s been a year in the making, but the fun has finally arrived.

At least that is how flag football coach Adonnis Dix views this weekend’s debut of the Ben Davis girls flag football team.

“We hope with this year we are able to bring more awareness to the game and that everyone begins to support it,” Dix said. “I am a firm believer of letting girls play and we hope by doing as well as we can this year that we can bring more shine and love to the game of girls flag football. We are excited for the future.”

The Giants debut Saturday at 10 a.m. against xxxxxx here at home.

The girls flag football team started first last year and is now working its way up. Assistannt coach Greg Person is enjoying his time with the team. Person trained at Brookside during 2021 for the Co-Ed flag football. His intake on this sport is that it is very heartwarming and gives back to the Wayne Township community. His goals for the team is to have successful athletes, build sisterhood, and give them opportunities in the outside world. He believes that this sport is a good outlet to keep students out of trouble and give opportunities to meet new students.

“Getting them prepared for the outside life shows that we care,” said Person, a standout basketball player for the Giants before he graduated in 2011.

Coach Dix got involved with the girls flag football team when he saw a good opportunity to coach. He didn’t think about gender but when the opportunity presented itself he saw it was new and got excited. He believes that flag football has a lot of possibilities of teaching lessons and not just about sports but life.

“It gives students opportunities to try something new they never did before as well as for people who didn’t make teams before and that now they can be a part of it and they can excel or find fun in,” said Dix, a 2013 BD graduate who wrote for the Spotlight and appeared on BDTV while a student here.

His goals for the team are to be able to come together and learn about each other, growing chemistry, and winning championships. This is his second year coaching flag football and his team last year was led by seniors that helped him learn things for the season this year.