Sparkplug boys hoping to finish strong

Speedway Student Media.

Taking it strong to the rim. Senior Nate Matelic hasn’t shied away from the competition this winter for the varsity Sparkplugs.

Speedway (2-15, 2-3 ICC) lost a tough ICC matchup with Lutheran (10-7, 4-2 ICC) last week, falling to the Class A eighth ranked Saints, 65-51. The Sparkplugs narrowed the deficit early in the fourth quarter to a six point contest but the Saints
pulled away for the ICC victory.

Freshman Drew Matelic keeps impressing each time out, tallying 17 points on 5 of 7 shooting from three point range. Senior Nate Matelic notched 16 points, seven rebounds, and also added three blocks while Landon Short grabbed six boards.

Speedway plays a pair of strong teams this weekend and still has lots to play for in the ICC race. On Friday, Speedway visits Bethesda Christian (14-3, 2-2 Pioneer South) and the next afternoon, Speedway travels to Scecina Memorial (12-6, 3-3 ICC) in
a game that will likely decide 4th place in the ICC standings.

Over the weekend, the JV Sparkplugs participated in the Covenant Christian Invitational. In the tournament opener, Speedway avenged a loss from 48 hours earlier, defeating Lutheran 46-41 in a spirited contest. The tournament hosts defeated
Herron to set up a rematch with Covenant Christian from the season opener in November. A cold shooting day resulted in a tough result for the Sparkplugs as Covenant took the tournament title with a decisive 54-32 win.