Bright spots few and far between for the Sparkplugs

Alan Zeledon-Reyes, SHS Student Media.

Preparing for another quality dive. Sophomore Alisa Yarling qualified for Tuesday’s IHSAA Diving Regional by virtue of her fourth place finish at the Ben Davis Sectional.

Despite still being relatively new to the diving event, Speedway sophomore Alisa Yarling finished a remarkable fourth at the Ben Davis sectional. Yarling just finished four points out of third place and has qualified for Tuesday’s IHSAA Regional
Diving competition. Yarling’s performance on Saturday helped lead the Lady Sharkplugs to a tie for eighth place with International.

The Lady Sharkplugs finished one point ahead of Herron and five points ahead of a Cardinal Ritter squad that finished
ahead of them at the ICC meet earlier this month.

The 200 free relay team of Chance Fragodt, Betty Miller, Genesis Corbett and Lexi Smith shaved nearly two seconds off of their time from Thursday’s semifinal round to finish in eighth place. Smith also finished eighth in the 100 breaststroke as the girls concluded their season.

In girls basketball, Speedway’s quest for a sectional trophy will have to wait another season as the Lady Sparkplugs (11-11) fell to Purdue Polytechnic Englewood (22-5), 43-40. Offensively, Speedway struggled, shooting just 25% from the field and
11-21 at the free throw line and the hosts also turned the ball over 26 times.

Junior Daniella Galvez led the Sparkplugs with 16 points and 16 rebounds while junior Alex DeLisle added her own double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds.

In wrestling, the post-season hopes of two Sparkplug wrestlers were halted in the opening round of the IHSAA regional held at Mooresville. Freshman Sebastian Francisco (113) lost in the opening round to tournament champ Charlie LaRocca from
Center Grove while at 195, junior Miles Miller fell to Whiteland’s Blake Driver. Both wrestlers will return to a Speedway squad that graduates just two seniors.