The Student News Site of Ben Davis High School

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Westside residents showcased in Joseph

Three Brownsburg youth highlight the Beef N Boards production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which is showing between now and November 19 at the northwest dinner theater.

Juliana Lindberg, 11, is in sixth grade at East Middle School. Juliana loves everything about being on stage. Performing “makes me happy and filled with joy,” she said. This is her fifth production in two years. She lives in Brownsburg.

Abigail Hernandez, 13, is in eighth grade at St. Malachy School. She has been in many theatre productions, and dreams of being on Broadway someday. “I like that performing encompasses many things, like singing, dancing, and acting. It gives me a thrill every time I step on stage.” She also lives in Brownsburg.

Eight-year-old DJ Dancler lives in Indianapolis, but is in second grade at Eagle Elementary in Brownsburg. This is his fourth time being in a theatre production. He said he likes singing and dancing, and loves the songs in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Like Abigail, he would like to be an actor and singer on Broadway someday. He is 8 years old.

With a crash of drums and a flash of light, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat has taken the stage at Beef & Boards Dinner Theatre. The Bible-based Broadway sensation was the first collaboration between composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyricist Tim Rice to be staged, and was nominated for seven Tony Awards.

The musical is based on the Old Testament story of Joseph, the favorite of Jacob’s 12 sons, who receives the gift of a colorful coat from their father. His jealous brothers reach their limit
when Joseph tells them of a dream he had in which their sheaves of wheat bow to his. The enraged brothers abduct Joseph, destroy his coat, and sell him into slavery.

Down, but not out, Joseph finds that any dream will do for him to be happy again – and possibly even reunite his family.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat features a kaleidoscope of musical styles, from rock and country to pop and calypso. Songs include “One More Angel in Heaven,” “Close Every Door,” “Jacob and Sons” and “Any Dream Will Do.”

Ben Davis High School will perform this musical Nov. 2-5 at the high school as well.