The Student News Site of Ben Davis High School

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

Community West Side News

BD duo makes Indiana All-Star team

Seniors Zane Doughty and Sheridan Sharp are the newest Ben Davis basketball stars to join the list of Indiana All-Stars.

The senior stars were named to the 2023 Indiana All-Star team that will be coached by Ben Davis coach Don Carlisle. The Indiana-Kentucky series this June will have a decidedly Ben Davis flavor to it. Beside the three BD connections on the boys side, senior Cristen Carter will represent the Giants on the girls team and junior KJ Windham is a member of the core group of Indiana juniors that will play two games in June.
Doughty and Sharp were the leading scorers for the 33-0 Giants, who won the Class 4A state title in March.

Doughty and Sharp will be joined as All-Stars by Noblesville’s Luke Almodovar, Cathedral’s Xavier Booker, Penn’s Markus Burton, Heritage Christian’s Myles Colvin, Linton-Stockton’s Joey Hart, Zionsville’s Logan Imes, Valparaiso’s Mason Jones, Crown Point’s A.J. Lux, Carmel’s Sam Orme, NorthWood’s Ian Raasch and Bloomington North’s JaQualon Roberts.

The finalists for Mr. Basketball will be announced this weekend with the Mr. Basketball announcement on April 19.

The All-Stars will play the Indiana Junior All-Stars on June 7, followed by the annual doubleheader against Kentucky in Owensboro, Ky., June 9, and then June 10 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.

Doughty just completed a magical season where he became the Giants all-time career leader in rebounds with 796 and was named both the MIC and Marion County player of the year. He averaged 13.5 points and 9.2 rebounds a game. He finished his career with 947 points and 251 blocked shots. Doughty decommitted from Valparaiso after the state game and is considering other offers.

Sharp and Doughty both finished their BD careers playing in 87 games, fourth on the all-time school list. Sharp, a Nicholls State commit, finished first in school history with 453 career assists and second with 166 steals. He averaged 9.8 points, 6.1 assists and 2.2 steals per game. His best performance was a 31-point outburst in the semistate win over Bloomington North.

Carlisle has guided the Giants to two state championship games in his five years at the school. He lost 60-55 to Carmel in the 2019 game (his first year at BD) and owns a 98-41 record in his five seasons at BD and is 144-66 in nine total seasons as a head coach. His 33-0 record this year is the first 33-0 state championship record in state history.