Student of the Quarter award-winners recognized for many attributes

Doing things the Speedway Way, Kyla Booker was nominated as a Speedway Student of the Quarter for the second academic grading period. Assistant Principal Nathan Day is impressed by Booker’s enthusiasm.

“Kyla is a great example of being a student leader,” said Day. “Anytime I see Kyla she projects a positive energy, is quick to say hello and she’s willing to help anyone out. Her academic performance is very strong and she is active in extracurricular
activities and athletics.”

“When Kyla is not on the court or field giving it her all, she is enthusiastically cheering on her team and encouraging them,” added Day. “Kyla brings a next level energy to wherever she is and it is contagious.”

Many people recognize junior Audrey Burrell for her athletic achievements but she is just as impressive in the classroom according to her AP Language teacher Matt Taylor. “Audrey has had an amazing run of exceptional in-class essays over the last
quarter in AP Language and Composition,” noted Taylor. “Through her in class engagement, pointed questions, and hard work, Audrey has developed strong analytical skills and an ability to write a solid argument.”

“Audrey is a positive influence on her class,” said Taylor. “Her comments and engagement helps move our discussions forward, and pushes students to better understand the content and skills needed to be successful.”

Math department chairperson Eileen Toepp nominated junior Ella Custer-Mulholland as her Student of the Quarter. “Ella is a student that every teacher should have in class at least once,” said Toepp. If there’s someone who will go the extra mile in
all areas, it’s her.”

“Ella consistently comes in for extra help on material, helps multiple students in class, and will not give up until she understands all problems to 100%,” added Toepp. “She has perseverance with new things and never complains or immediately asks for help if she has to think through a difficult problem. I thoroughly enjoy having her in
class.”

Sisters Alex and Macy DeLisle were both nominated as Students of the Quarter at Speedway. Alex, a junior at Speedway, was nominated by her AP Econ and AP Psych instructor Scott Morrow while younger sister Macy, a freshman, was nominated by math teacher Andy Wills.

“Alex displays on a daily basis a wonderful attitude and willingness to learn,” noted Morrow. “She leads her peers not only in the classroom, but also in athletic competition. She brings a joyful attitude and willingness to receive feedback to better
herself.”

DeLisle is the leading scorer on the Sparkplug girls basketball team that is hosting the 3A basketball sectional competition this week.

Younger sister Macy DeLisle is carving out her own path and making a difference.

“Macy is a singular student in Honor’s Prep Geometry,” said Wills. “Her attention to detail and personal drive for understanding is unmatched by her peers. Her ability to self-advocate and seek knowledge is a shining representation of exactly what we as teachers seek in an inquisitive driven academic mind.”